Sunday 28 December 2014

A new Christmas requirement for my cooking skills

Having lots of family/friends requirements to test me - diabetic (avoid sugars), Muslims (no pork products to be anywhere near and special meats), Hindu (no beef) I was thrown a new one for Xmas!
Having found out about a milk intolerance in our new grandson my daughter in law and the baby have to be dairy free and no cross contamination!

This tested my usual Xmas reliance on a nice cheese board, trifle and lots of cream! But we managed a very nice Xmas menu without making one person feel too deprived.  This led to some thinking about making sure more of our normal menus. We found a nice red cabbage recipe on the diary free web site so this replaced the one I had done recently in the slow cooker which needed 6oz butter! Went wonderfully with  the gammon and  turkey.

http://www.feastie.com/recipe/perfect-pantry/sweet-and-sour-slow-cooker-red-cabbage-apples-and-onions-vegan-gluten-free

Had to do some substitutions with balsamic vinegar and honey instead of some of the exotic ingredients - and we did it quickly in a saucepan and added a water to keep it from catching and caramelizing too much!

Unfortunately they have gone home and now I have to be inventive with the unused cheeses, yogurts, and cream by myself.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness you do have a varied range of dietary requirements to cater for. My husbands been diabetic for 35 years but takes the everything in moderation approach. I have a lot of cream that I need to use up too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good long time - he has obviously managed it well! My son was diagnosed at 14 and was a social phobic which meant he found it hard to express his feelings as well it was hard to manage the condition at first. I dont think I will bother with cream again I just watched a Jamie Oliver where he used a variety of less fattening things where I would have expected cream!

    ReplyDelete