Sunday 10 February 2019

Gooseberry bed

I am moving on with the spring prep outside and as it was mild and dry yesterday (if a bit windy) I went to finish the long thin bed that has 6 red gooseberry bushes in it.  This was the start - long grass, the sort with nasty long roots.

Puffed, headache from bending over, muddy and ready for a cup of tea.  Total of 6 hours slow work  over 2 days.

I have put some mulch on, need to pick up the heap of grass roots (twitch mostly), re cut the edges to straighten it all up, feed and prune. I am going to put some weed suppressing membrane down as this is the last and only weeding I want to do round these prickly things this year.

I refused to raise my head and look at the longer thin fruit bed which is as bad, or the raspberries which are invaded by grass. I shall enjoy the freshly turned bit I have done for a day or two first.


2 comments:

  1. Well done, that's dedication for you! You're braver than me, I'm such a wimp. I keep looking at the garden and thinking I can't wait to get out there and prune/tidy up, but am very much a fair weather gardener. Told you I'm a wimp lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done a little often gets the job done. I can't wait to start outside but thetes still yoo much inside first.

    ReplyDelete