Sunday 25 October 2020

Contrasting book reads

 I read a lot. Always have. And in current circumstances have relied heavily on the e books from the library rather than go every three weeks into town and hunt around for 8 to 10 books. Its a bit of a chore as the filters are not that sensitive and with 20 per page to find something interesting out of 2500 odd means in each genre it means scrolling through lots of pages. But this week has been a strange contrast for my UK based mystery/crime reads.

Started with Peter Turnball. This is the second one in his series set in York I have read. I was on page 80 this time when it clicked what was so strange.

Not - there is absolutely no swearing, not even by the "criminals".

Not - there are no drunken police. They are all very sober citizens with difficult, but managed lives.

Not - that the Detective Inspector wears a trilby and is nice to everyone.

(Yes, it is like Christie/Sayers but in modern times).

Its the fact that the author does not use contractions. No could've, didn't, wouldn't, etc. It was page 80 when it's dropped into the conversation in a pub!  Crickey, that was a shock!

In contract Stuart McBride. Half written in Aberdeen dialect with shortened words, strange grammar and order of words! Swearing, bad language, drinking to excess after 14 hour days, beatings, and the Inspector is an HR nightmare. Not sure I can relate to this reality either!

Ah well, shall have to see what I can find next week using some different filters!



4 comments:

  1. Think I will pass on Stuart McBride but Peter Turnball sounds more like my "cup of tea"! Thanks for the recommendation. Always on the lookout for a good read. My library has an excellent collection and I can usually find something I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No contractions, that is very strange indeed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read loads of Peter Turnbull books but a long time ago, is he still writing or have they been reprinted - I shall investigate.
    He writes to a formula so that the characters always say the same things in each book which get a bit annoying after 30 books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rely on the Libaray e books to. I've been very lucky findu=ing some really good crime thrillers. My next one is available on the 3rd. The author Charlie Gallagher is brilliant and I HAVENT READ THEM IN ORDER BUT THEY ARE GREAT NEVERTHELESS.Jane Fallon chicklit easy reads too.

    ReplyDelete