Monday 25 June 2018

Strawberry gate

Strawberry crop came quickly and heavily. By Sunday my husband was begging not to be given a nice full bowl AGAIN and even the man next door was reluctant to have another punnet.


I have done 10 jars of jam, 2 gallons of wine started, frozen 4 tubs of puree, 2 lbs of whole strawberries and was running out of variations on puddings!

Finally we found time to renovate our kerb side "shop".  It had a hard winter outside.

 A few carpentry repairs and some thick striped plastic made into a cover.  Plastic came wrapped round a bit of our poly tunnel 3 years ago - never throw things away! Table bit painted with some left over paint and the blackboard given a new coat.
Despite it being very quiet round here at present we sold 4 boxes on Saturday and then on Monday sold 3 more boxes plus 2 of raspberries. £9 in cash for a treat next time we go out.

 I went out late one evening this week while the football was on to pick the blackcurrants. Good job I did collect these 4 boxes.  I left just as many on the bush but the next day they were all gone!  The birds are so hungry they are taking any thing they can get at.  3 jars of blackcurrant jam done.
Looks like next week will be the gooseberries. We have 5 bushes of red ones, a dessert gooseberry that is really tasty.  Just one bush of green ones but we have had one pie and they were very plumb and sweet.

7 comments:

  1. All that lovely fresh fruit. You are very lucky. I usually have to fight the birds for our cherries.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you. I'm seriously impressed. I don't think I could find that much energy in this heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. theres so much fruit this year that the birds can share , the strawberries have been rubbish tons of them but really small due to lack of rain , raspberries are just mental , not to many gooseberries , loads of blackcurrants to pick today

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fruits are starting to crop, in my small garden, I only have one of each, not enough to make jam, but we are enjoying fresh berries. Later this week I am going to make a summer pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. strawberry/rhubarb pie or crumble-delicious!! I'm very envious of all your fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your stall, I'm sure it's going to attract lots of people.

    ReplyDelete