Wednesday 26 February 2020

Organic?

I went to the induction day to become a volunteer Master Gardener on Saturday.
I will talk more about the role of encouraging people to grow more food themselves and the organisation in the future  but as I had to take two buses to get there I had plenty of time to contemplate what to say if asked "Was I organic?".

I certainly don't pay out deliberately for things labelled organic - for the garden or in our food consumption.
If it meant rescuing a plant from devastation I may well reach for some sort of spray but would check its harmful side effects first. I might even give up on those grounds (but more likely not bother if it was an expense!).
I compost and recycle.
I keep plastic use to a minimum and keep it off our land.
Look after and try and improve growing area soil.

OK. As I neared the door I felt quite confident.

Turned out they were lovely people and their definition was
"A practical way of producing food that makes best use of resources and works with the environment".

Came away thinking, yes I can do this! Which was a boost as retiring can knock your self confidence a bit.

So I may include a bit more about gardening in this blog and include news of things a Master Gardener may do.  I would encourage any keen gardener to join in!  www.gardenorganic.org.uk  (formerly Henry Doubleday research).







6 comments:

  1. I think you are going to enjoy being in the gardening group. I don't buy or use any toxic chemicals in my garden. We gave up our lawn decades ago, typically grass is treated with nonorganic amendments. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First cut of lawn today as we had a dry period. When I say lawn I mean the green, very green, moss patch! But it is now well seeded with wild violets!

      Delete
  2. It will be good to follow your progress. I try to be as organic as possible on my allotment and in the garden. I love to encourage wild life to both and spend a lot of time watching the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was watching the blackbirds running after one another earlier they have such a comic run! Glad to have another "'lloty" (as we call it) on board.

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to hearing all about your new "career".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds brilliant, can't wait for any tips for the garden or home.

    ReplyDelete