Thursday 1 January 2015

A lovely first day of 2015

I had a super first day of 2105 sewing, baking and trying out new recipes.
Here is the baking - bread (half brown and half white flour used), Victoria sponge and a mincemeat plate pie. I am not keen on the mincemeat so I put in a diced apple and made the pastry a bit thick - it will be lovely with custard.



My new recipe include a carrot and lemon soup from my Kenwood food mixer book.
1 leek sliced, 12 oz carrots shredded and a crushed garlic saute 5-10 mins  in 2 tbsp veg oil;  add grated rind of a lemon and 1 1/4 pints of veg stock and simmer for 10 mins. Remove from heat and stir in juice of lemon and some fresh parsley. I blended mine a bit as I prefer smooth soup. It was very tasty as the lemon brings out a spicy tang - my husband even said "delicious".

My other experiment was for left over turkey. Finely dice 2 onions, and grate 1 eating apple to saute in 2 tbsp of oil, add 1 tsp of sage and 2 tbsp of plain flour; add 300 ml of stock with 2 tbsp of mustard and 2 tbsp of honey.  Put in 350g of turkey and leftover roast veg and simmer for 15 mins. I did not have any veg so I sliced in some mushrooms. This too was tasty and cheered up the leftover turkey a lot.  I found this on BBCGoodFood site)

Neither of these needed anything difficult - just larder stuff.  Various thrifty advice books and sites have all recommended having a good larder stock. It is something I am working on - but I need more effective cupboard storage. Kitchen is awaiting a make-over which I am planning in a vintage style!

1 comment:

  1. Tricia it all looks and sound delicious. You've started 2015 with a positive attitude which can only lead to success. I've got a third of a jar of mincemeat left so I'll grate some apple into it to make it stretch further.

    ReplyDelete