A couple of weeks ago I set myself two frugal and thrifty make over projects. One was to make a top from a pretty cotton standard size pillowcase I brought for 50p.
I could not make it work just cutting a neck in the end as I am a size 14 at least. I used the longer width with a Simplicity pattern which gave me a simple pull over top down to navel. Not being of the cropped top generation, I used the remaining fabric to join a strip along the bottom to lengthen and the odd bits to make a binding round the neck and armholes. I ignore all the good sewing practices of joining patterns and cutting on bias or even using matching thread (just used a similar enough colour from the sewing basket).
It worked out fine. I now have thin top for gardening. I found I wore this kind of top with shorts for the majority of this summer as it was cooler than t-shirt knit material. I need about 4 more so that I have one for every day. That is one of my winter projects!
My other frugal re-make was to rescue and re paint a chair for my cabin. Here it is with its coat of bright buttercup gloss.
The paint cost £5 in the local hardware shop and now I remember why we have choosen water based paints in the house. Yuk smell and long drying time. It was a very small tin and I only used a quarter up. So more up cycling projects will have to be found for this paint.
The chair makes a bright statement against the blue paint of the cabin interior.