Sunday 21 May 2017

Cabbage in curry sauce

Yes, really - this is a very tasty way to have cabbage!  I found it in an 1980s Readers Digest coffee table book called Farmhouse Cooking. The recipe starts with cooking 1 to 2 lbs of cabbage which is far too much for us so I have adapted it a bit.

Slice up cabbage leaves and simmer to tender with half an onion with a couple of cloves pushed in and a small  bay leaf and a garlic clove. Add a stock cube. Drain (remove onion etc) and put the liquid aside.
I know, it sounds weird - but keep going!
I usually have quite a bit of liquid left - I keep it for other dishes.

Meanwhile, melt a knob of butter, a dessertspoon of plain flour (or cornflour), a good teaspoon of curry powder (I have Madras and used that). Add the liquid to make a stiff sauce. Put the cabbage in the sauce and let it infuse gently. Add a little paprika to taste, if wanted (does taste good without).

The curry sauce is a bit like you get in chip shop sauce, I think? 

The cabbage tastes lovely and is tender and juicy.  It goes really well with any dry or bland meat or plain meat.  I have made it twice now and I think we ate more cabbage than we would have done just plainly boiled!




2 comments:

  1. What a novel way to use cabbage. I think I may have to give this a try.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I am a member of Slimming World and there is a popular recipe for a similar "Chinese curry" made with mushy peas.

    ReplyDelete