Saturday 19 October 2019

Books

The other morning we were sat in bed with our tea and books while the local radio station presenter whittered on about not being a reader. Not read a book in 2years! Unbelievable.
Just had a look at my library account on line.  In 5 years I have borrowed 633 books. Plus 10 or so brought in charity shops or received as gifts.

That is about 3 books a week!

Currently I have a detective novel on the bedside table, an art book in my hobby cabin where I am taking time to do some art lessons, on the settee there is a non fiction book on taking photos for Instagram which I browse when bored with TV.  On my tablet I have another novel open but I am struggling to engage with it and have dipped in and out when on line in the afternoons.

My husband can get through 2 novels in a week and can't sleep unless he's had 15 minutes with a book. He let's me choose books but often complains! He hates going to town to the library on the bus. If I get the "wrong" ones and runs out of a good read before I go to town, he downloads his free book each month from Amazon prime to the Kindle. So there's another 12 books a year we read!

Do you think we have an addiction problem?

On her last visit my 5 year old granddaughter saw my husband reading and asked why he was doing that. Her mother explained he was reading a story which he played in his mind like one of her TV programmes.  I hope that inspired her to read more by herself when she gets to that stage soon.

14 comments:

  1. We often turn TV off and read in the evenings, I often read 2 or 3 books in a week. I life without books sound unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not believe educated people (presuming Uni level from what they have said in the past), working for the BBC, would be missing out reading in their lives. They seem to spend a lot of time on line following news feeds but I don't count that!

      Delete
  2. I too love reading, but am not as avid a reader now as I used to be...lack of concentration, I think. Husband is dyslexic and has never read a book...like you, I think how sad for him. However, he does like talking books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lack patience with some books from the library - about 2% I get half way through with difficulty then think who wrote this, who published it, who brought it for a library?? Some are so badly written and hard to engage with!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading but not as much as I used to. I listen to a lot of audiobooks and my Alexa reads them to me as I fall asleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning to use an MP3 player in the hope I can put audio books on it in the future. Another new bit of tech!

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine a life without books either. I have been an avid reader since primary school and I'll be 70 in a couple of weeks! I always read to my children when they were young and also to my Grandchildren whenever I could but neither of them like reading themselves, which I find very sad. They will miss out on so much fun and knowledge by not reading. My GS has recently been diagnosed with dyslexia at 12 years of age so perhaps that's why he doesn't enjoy it. Keep reading Trish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids are the same but I hold out hope! GS needs just one book to engage totally with to break the barriers even if he needs loads of illustrations in it. Had a friend some years ago whose 10 year old was struggling, but he never had books (or clothes) that were new. Weetabix did a book token thing at the time and I saved up for 6 books (all of which my kids had read) and sent them to him anomalously. They were new, shiny, mysteriously appeared, dead cert interesting and it did the trick. Breakthrough - in 6 weeks he was up to and beyond his reading age. Last heard of as an engineer building trains.

      Delete
  5. I'm a reader, like you I sometimes think it is an addiction but I love it. My children were not readers when they were younger despite my encouragement but as they reached their 40's they went back to it and they all read now, mostly on Kindle whereas although I have a Kindle for holidays I prefer a proper book ( thank goodness for our much threatened libraries). I would not be able to afford the5 or 6 books a week I get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its bad enough that they charge 60p here to reserve/request a book! Paying even a small fee would be a nightmare.

      Delete
  6. Just counted up on my books read page and 77 so far this year, thats down on normal years I think

    ReplyDelete
  7. Try downloading from your library. Just put the app on your tablet and put in your local library details and you can have 7 books and 7 audio books. Its a brilliant service for FREE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading, too. As a child and teen, I read five books a week. Now I find it takes me longer to finish. I still love to curl up with a good book by the fireplace, though. Books are like close friends. I am always sad when I finis one that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love reading, and like your husband I always need at least 15 to 30 minutes with a book before falling sleep.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete