Sunday 29 April 2018

Veg garden nearly done but..

Worked like stink the last week to break the back (and us) of the veg beds all week. Got in 6 rows of potatoes (not great hopes as the seed potatoes did not like being in the shed in the very cold weather and rotted), 4 rows of onions, a row each of garlic bulbs,  beetroot seeds, carrot seeds, parsnip seeds, leeks (tiny plants), French beans, broad beans and 2 rows of mixed brassica. Put up the runner bean poles and seeds sown in green house. The last bit of veg bed neglected all winter needs digging a lot and we have left that for sweetcorn and courgettes which luckily look like being another month at least.

Phew. Exhausted and aching we planned a quiet weekend.  Husband planned hours of F1 motor racing. I took Friday off and went to the library in the rain. Then it all went wrong.

Taking a short cut through the park I slipped on the wet, green, greasy path and fell heavily on my right knee. Rescued by 3 people, I limped off to town and did a bit of shopping. Called in to the jewellers to have my wedding ring altered (had it cut off 4 years ago and needs to be bigger). I have accepted I will not be 10 stone ever again.  Then suddenly feeling a bit weird, I went home on the bus. OK over lunch but by 4 pm my knee was a balloon and I needed the kitchen broom to hold me up.
Image result for Woman held up by broom as a crutch

I would have used the hiking stick but the rubber foot is missing and it just slid dangerously across the kitchen floor.  Husband was sous chef for tea and had to deal with Sainsbury's delivery. Luckily after half a tube of ibuprofen gel and 12 hours in bed it has improved a lot.  Not going to try kneeling on it for a while!

It is now been just 7C  all weekend and raining like mad. The veg seeds will probably not germinate for ages but I bet the weeds grow.  Hope the knee improves with the weather. Especially as the husband has promised a day out to hunt for bluebell wood to wander through and SMELL!!!   It is one of life's pleasures to find a really good display in warm sunshine that smells so delicious.

This was one of my favourite walks on May Hill in Gloucestershire  and the woods near Tintern  from a few years ago. It is a fab place and well worth the hike up the hills for the bluebells and the views.


Surprised by the idea of a merger between Sains ..burys and A..sda reported on news today. Can not see any common ground in their core markets but at least it would knock TE..co off their dominance of the market. Could it bring down food prices?

6 comments:

  1. Hope your knee continues to recover. A huge well done on the garden work I know how exhausting it can be. I see they are already announcing an investigation into this unlikely merger. The public are just pawns in their games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no-hope the knee is improving. We had frost this morning in Central Scotland so no planting of pots here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch....so sorry about your knee Trish. Hope it heals soon.

    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your knee gets better very soon. We finally have some warm weather here, however the forecast is calling for rain during the upcoming week. I think that means I won't be hanging clothes out tomorrow.

    Great work on the garden. It doesn't seem to matter if it rains, or doesn't those silly weeds seem to grow by leaps and bounds.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you are feeling better now, it's such a silly easy thing to do. If only our plants in the garden would grow as strong as the weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no I hope you recover quickly, get a good rest and let it mend. x

    ReplyDelete