Saturday 1 September 2018

Plastic bags

Have you heard the proposals charge for these goes up to 10 p next year and even small retailers have to charge?

My main shopping is delivered by a large supermarket without bags (they add 40p on for bags if you tick that box) but they insist on putting frozen and household stuff like washing powder in bags anyway.  I always think it is unnecessary as those things are well packaged and super tight lids etc.

I am sometimes reminded of days of yore  (late 1950s) when the local grocer would wrap my mother's purchase of toilet rolls in newspaper!

Meanwhile I am back in my sewing cabin planning more tote bags for my occasional shopping trips and to sell on Folksy.
Tote bag

4 comments:

  1. I'm pleased with the impending higher charges on plastic bags, as they say every little helps. Love your tote bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a campaign on Facebook regarding plastic bags that carry company logo's. Apparently because this is classed as advertising they shouldn't be charging for them. I'm all for paying for plastic bags and I always take my long life bags with me when I shop. Yes the charge has educated some people but not all. perhaps the charge should be 50p it may make people think before they shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The price of plastic bags has already gone up to 10p in the CS that I work in. It does seem to put a lot of people off buying one which is a good thing. Hopefully they'll be phased out almost entirely before long.

    It always really annoys me to see people coming out of supermarkets with 10+ plastic bags in their trolley.

    Sadly, some people still don't get it and think that unlimited plastic bags should be given free with every purchase and to charge is appalling customer service. I even once experienced one man throw his purchase back at me and walk out cursing, at the idea of having to pay 5p for a bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How rude! 10p will make me think as I look at it and still see 2 shillings - god, that's a lot of money!!!

      Delete