Wednesday 12 September 2018

Sweetcorn and onions

Last of this year's crop of sweetcorn.
Plants were slow to start due to cold, never really got any height due to heat; some did not make cobs and some made multiple small cobs that did nothing.  We have eaten more than enough ourselves, gave a box of 16 large ones away and sold about a dozen. 

The onion crop has been drying in the shed for a couple of weeks so I went in to rub off the dirt and loose skins, roots and cut the tops. They now are nice and clean and ready for use- should be enough to last to the New Year.  It started to rain yesterday afternoon so I gathered some of the red onions  and store cupboard ingredients and made a red onion marmalade.

The onion smell was a bit much for me so I did not get the onions really finely chopped so I cheated a bit by whizzing the mix. Only made 3 jars which is enough for us and a small jar which will make an ideal present at Xmas.

I am really looking to make chili jam which I also love.  We have loads of green chili but they are being very slow to go red.   Next week is looking warm and sunny so I am hopeful this last bit of summer will turn them.

8 comments:

  1. Slicing onions for onion marmalade chutney became so much easier when I got a food processor bit for my kenwood, it can do them really thin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our onions were rubbish this year - they either didn't grow at all, or bolted. The shallots were tiny too. The very wet and cold Spring we had didn't do them any good at all. You've done well with your sweetcorn, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Husband grew them from seed this year and was very impressed with the results and cost.

      Delete
  3. The smell of onions and fumes they give off bother me when chopping. Now if I have a great many to do I use the food processor (youngest son gave it to me as a gift one Christmas). Saves me so much time and crying.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had cheap processors in the past and they have just not stood the test.

      Delete
  4. We've been eating corn for a few weeks now. Next week I shall take all the rest off and put them in the freezer. They keep quite well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love chilli jam and oinio chutney. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete