Tuesday 16 March 2021

Biodegradable tea bags

 When the tea arrived in the on line shopping the other day I did not take too much notice of the packaging only that it was a substitute for whatever box I had ordered. Within days of opening it I was tearing my hair out.





Bag after bag exploded in the cups. Mug after mug of tea leaf strewn drink was going down the sink. Lockdown mind losing? Lost ability to make tea? In a petulant frame of mind (or generally p'eed off) I searched the box for a link to the complaints department.

Yes. Apparently I can't make tea. Who knew after 60 odd years of putting the kettle on? 

I don't like strong tea so for years and years the habit at home (and work) was to dip the tea bag and whip to a second cup with a few stirs the bag gave a decent second cup. No longer. Now we are "biodegradable" (ie now plastic based glue which is good) the given method apparently is to gently pour on the water and leave to soak. Using one bag per cup. It works, but is costing twice as much in tea bags (or less in wasted mugs of spoiled tea).

You can't order from my usual supermarket any other kind of tea bag in this my preferred black tea blend (I am sure that others are available elsewhere) and I am sure its good for the planet/us not to have the micro plastic glue but I do feel stupid and annoyed in equal measures.

When we can do more things (one day) I would love to do the guided walk round London to all the old tea traders and warehouses.  I heard about it on the radio some time ago and was fascinated by how tea is so embedded in UK history and buildings apparently.


9 comments:

  1. That tea walk sounds good. I mainly use loose leaf tea in a teapot with a stainless steel holder for the tea. I like weak tea too so I can remove the tea and leave a pot of tea to drink at my leisure. It stays hot under the cosy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very tempted to re equip ourselves to use loose tea.

      Delete
  2. Agreed the tea walk does sound good. PG is my preferred tea bag too. Perhaps I will need to order one of those tea leaf holders for the tea bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard you can also get biodegradable coffee pods - not for my brand of coffee maker unfortunately, but it sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee making is totally husband's daily job. But they sound good for picnics? I don't really like instant.

      Delete
  4. Wow, I have always used a tea bag to make two cups of tea. That would have driven me crazy as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby is no longer drinking his favorite tea because of these confounded bags!

    ReplyDelete
  6. him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not a lot good source like this.
    Perfect work you have done, this internet site is really cool with superb info . What do you think about this here
    Web Design and Development

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if he's ever touched on the history of tea but I've been getting pretty hooked during lockdown on John Rogers' Youtube walks which are usually in or around London. This one's about Wapping waterfront... https://youtu.be/78zQx5jjsls

    ReplyDelete