Tuesday, 15 December 2015

Red onions stewed

Found the last 3 red onions from the early summer crop lurking in the veg basket. Not having all the ingredients for red onion marmalade recommended on the web I made a similar and tasty dish to my own liking and what was in the cupboard.

Using butter and olive oil I saute'd the sliced onions until soft then used red wine vinegar and some nice stock to make a nice rich sauce. Added two big tablespoons of brown caster sugar to sweeten. A sprig of thyme to add flavour and a little flour to thicken.

This proved very tasty and accompanied various meals for two or three days - especially nice with macaroni cheese.

No picture as we ate it all!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. I love onion in any form caramelised being top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many meals happen here without some onion!

      Delete

Next bit of kitchen

Kitchen was disrupted again for 2 days while the husband fitted the kitchen hood. Luckily I was able to switch the menu to meals that needed...