Saturday 27 February 2016

Fish lovin'

Brought this lovely piece of fresh salmon for  £5 this week

Two chunky bits, baked with a chilli jam topping for tea. Yum, Yum.  One big fillet in the freezer for another day, and the tail bit and a trimming off the side in a bag to go with some other fish tails/bits in the freezer for a pie.

This nice long bit of cod was also just over £5,  divided into 4 portions ready for meals next week. last time I got haddock so cod is a nice change.  Also brought some expensive but giant prawns (£14 a kilo) as I love prawn dishes for the lighter meals of warm days (could they hurry up and come?).  I got some smoked mackerel too as someone was saying it was good for arthritis sufferers like my husband. 

I usually spend £15 to £20 on each visit to the fish market as it is a round trip of 12 miles and we combine the drive with other tasks to make it worth while. It is less expensive that the supermarket and I can chop it up to our size portions rather than buy ready portioned.  Also the guy knows me now and that I will buy a big fillet and not mess around with "bits" so I think he is a bit generous too!

Are you a fish lover?



9 comments:

  1. I love fish and would eat it many times a week, hubby is OK once or twice a week. I always buy wet fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never found frozen fish you buy in supermarkets a bit tasteless?

      Delete
  2. I love fish and salmon is probably my favourite.... and rainbow trout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh never tried that. Will look out for some.

      Delete
  3. I make a weight watchers smoked makeral pate and it's lovely. We have it on dry toast with salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fish but my hubby only likes it battered and fried! he usually has a pork steak or similar when I have fish, Salmon fillet topped with a poached egg is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby and I love fish but our son was never that keen, but now he has moved out we buy more we usually find plenty in the reduced section, yours were a good buy, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The freedom of post children is lovely isn't it!

      Delete