Tuesday 7 June 2016

Rhubarb and custard tart

Decided yesterday to forgo strawberries for a day to allow more to ripen and went up the plot to get some rhubarb. You are suppose to keep picking to encourage growth.

We have had a lot of rhubarb crumble lately so I looked up some new ideas on Good Food site. I adapted the receipes to what I had in hand and made a fairly nice flan/open tart.

Lined shallow round flan dish with ready made puff pastry - just had some to hand. I think shortcrust would be better.  Part baked.
Gently stewed the rhubarb with some golden caster sugar.  Put in case
Mixed 3 oz of soft cheese (no cream but this is usually hanging around in the fridge and is a good substitute in cooking) with a tablespoon of white caster sugar, egg and grated rind of half a lemon.
Baked till firm.  Served hot.

It was like an egg custard. And yes the bottom was soggy (sorry Paul Hollywood). Needed more sugar in the fruit or perhaps honey? It made a nice pud that lasted two meals.

I will experiment a bit more with this idea.

Meanwhile the strawberries berries have ripened and I picked one pound in weight this evening.
About 45% were clean and well shaped.
The others were a bit marked and mis shaped so I will do some sauce with these.  This is just a little balsamic vinegar, brown sugar heated and then chopped strawberries cooked gently. Some people add pepper. It sounds strange but it is lovely drizzled over strawbs and ice cream.


4 comments:

  1. That tart looks really yummy I never thought of doing a rhubarb and custard tart

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite nice but it did not reheat well. I might make individual tarts next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhubarb and custard tart - can I come to tea please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heading up the garden to pick my rhubarb right now.

    ReplyDelete