Two summer dresses, two skirts, four blouses/shirts, and a couple of odd bits later I had a pile of plaited one metre lengths ready to make my rag rug. Quite a lot of work (but it has been particularly cold and horrid outside). These came from the bottom of the recency box and were very thin and screwed up and I did not bother to iron them! I cut through darts, seams, godets, plackets and only rejected cuffs and collars (put by these to clean the greenhouse glass!). As the fabric was very thin I did not appreciate at first I was cutting it too narrow and should have cut 3 inches wide rather than 2 inches or less.
As I progressed colour gradients emerged and I worked from a dark middle outward. Soon found out that if you don't put it on the floor now and again it starts to form a "cone". I stated with a sharp needle but after while got sore fingers and swapped to a tapestry needle.
Several sessions later it was finished off with a black rim. This was one of those black polyester office skirts you buy for £9.99 in a supermarket and wash and wear for YEARS and it just would not die. Its dead now and provided a nice edge!
I really enjoyed this. It was time consuming but cost nothing and the recycle box is a bit emptier. The clothes were not good enough for a charity shop and the fabric not good enough for restyle. I have seen some projects on Pin interest for my second rug. They have used much flatter cloth like sheets and curtains - I have some and have been sorting out some to cut in 3.5 to 4 inch widths which will be tidily folded before being plaited.
A few weeks ago Ilona on Life After Money blog posted a doodling picture link. I tried it out and it was a most relaxing doddle. Do try it!
As part of using up Christmas left overs I came across an opened bottle of chilli sauce. It could only be kept for 4 weeks so I threw half in this pan of chicken thighs, onions and mushrooms. Yummy.