Monday 2 October 2017

Own brands and quality


I depend a lot on supermarket own brands to keep the cost of food/household goods down.  Some branded things I can't give up simply based on taste - cornflakes, tea bags, custard powder.  But other things if the product OK; its OK. I'm not fussy.  But this own brand kitchen foil has changed and is now a joke item. The one on the right.  It sticks to meat, tears easily and is thinner than foil round mints!  I brought the one on the left in Wilko for 80p and is 4 times thicker.

So disgusted went on supermarket on line shopping and gave it a very poor review. I found 20 other poor reviews made recently.  I do hope they take notice and re-instate their previous standards.

Talking of standards did you see that ITV report on a chicken packing factory last week?  Yuk Yuk Yuk.  I'm sticking to getting local meat from our local butcher - more expensive but we eat a little bit less and enjoy the really good meat supplied.

5 comments:

  1. That's frustrating. I guess they assume the customer won't notice. As for the chicken. Yuck! It makes you wonder what happens in other factories too. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like saving money Trish, but I won't compromise taste. No point on buying something just because its cheap and you don't enjoy eating it.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The manufacturers think we are stupid. I'm sure they do. I love Plenty kitchen roll because you can wringe it out its quality. We know more than they give us credit for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a few things that I will only buy brand name items. I tried the store brand, but they just did not make the grade. I use less of the expensive brand name item I have found.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feeding your family and looking after your home is an absolute minefield these days. I like to be fairly frugal but I will not compromise on quite a few things. Most of our meat is from the local butcher and stretched as far as I can stretch it. I will now be buying my chicken from there too as I have never felt so sick as when I heard the news about that factory. I should have known really as hubby used to work in a food factory and some of the tales he used to tell me just about made my hair stand on end.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete