Sunday 15 July 2018

Do you remember milk bags?

I was putting the last of the stored kitchen items into the backs of the new kitchen cupboards when I found this un-used Jugit for use with milk bags.
It was the eco idea of 2010 to replace milk cartons. You brought 1.5 lt bags and put in the jug where a spout pierced the bag.
When it first came out the price of the milk bags undercut cartons. After a few months the price crept up and the stocks became unreliable in supermarkets.  I remember I went over to 6 pint cartons about then - saving the number of cartons I put in recycling and getting a good unit price. Only once failing to use up the milk before it went off.

It was a good idea and if the bags could be recycled too in the UK (they can be, apparently it happens in Canada) because you can freeze the bags easily. 

I did see that the milk bags and jugs in use in a Costa this week - I assume it saves lots of space in not putting hundreds of big milk cartons in their commercial city centre bins.

Now I wonder what use I can put the jug too??  If I can't think of something soon I think hoarding it for 8 years is long enough!!


9 comments:

  1. Being Canadian this is a popular way to buy milk - but only in 3 litres at a time. But - I like you pouring container better than ours as ours is open and a full bag tends to pour too much to start and then an almost empty bag can have a tendency to slip out! I've never seen bags anywhere but in Canada - US visitors always comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That milk bag idea didn't last long at all, did it? I wonder why? Have to say we never bought any though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in W. Canada we haven't had bags of milk for years! I just found out it was in the mid 90's when they stopped making it here. I guess we prefer cartons-which are all recyclable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen bagged milk since we moved from Eastern Canada to Western Canada. For some reason the bags never really caught on west of Ontario. Growing up we used bags whenever possible.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milk in bags were around long before 2010. I can remember using them in 1974 when I lived in Leuchars, Scotland, where my husband was stationed with the RAF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't remember using milk bags (well, I lived next to my grandparents smallholding and we used only that milk). But they were there, because there is still miles and miles of rag rugs weaved from milk bags. It was 60's and 70's, so no recycling as we consider it now, but nothing was wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whether you should go for a Small Cosmetic Bag or a big one depends on the number of essential items you use. There are a few women who carry about three to four lipsticks and lip balms, for these women, carrying big cosmetic bags become imperative. But, you should usually use keep a few items in your toiletry bag. These are used to prim you up in an instant and to hoard your makeup stuff. lequeen diaper bags

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are numerous manufacturers that produce volleyball bags. borse vera pelle firenze

    ReplyDelete