Sunday 30 December 2018

Post Xmas budgeting

Back at home and keen to keep within budget so we can afford some home decorating over the next few months.  Grabbed milk on way home from station and just ate what was in hand for 3 days.

Defrosted 3 oyster cut chicken pieces. These are mostly breast with a small limb still attached. They weigh just over 300gms each and a pack is £4 from the local butcher. Very fresh, firm meat.
Meal 1 - cut into chunks and put in a paella with lots of rice and carrots from the garden.
Meal 2 - chunks with mushrooms and a quartered red onion in a cheap curry sauce (30p a jar from Tesco) on baked potatoes. Took extra bit off the last piece to up the meat for this meal. Half of jar put by from some bombay potatoes later in week.
Meal 3 -  sliced the last chicken into small bits and added to some sliced leeks (from garden) and cheese sauce. Topped with a pastry to make a small pie for the 2 of us.

We then went actual shopping for a change. I wanted to browse shelves for more inspiration and to restock some standard goods.  Besides an on line delivery was going to cost £4 as I had not bothered to pre book before leaving London.

I picked only one yellow sticker reduction. Some thin cut pork shops. Not my usual fare, but a big pack for £2.  Used half today cut into chunks with lots of sweet peepers, carrots, mushrooms and steeped in a 50p pack of sweet and sour sauce. I have frozen the other half and have a cheap jar of honey and mustard sauce (65p) for them put by.  I thought the sauces were worth the small investment as I want to get some other stuff done and can save a bit of time by not cooking everything from scratch.

Today's extra task was inspired by all the seed catalogues that arrive every day. Seed companies are a bit like Readers Digest and never forget you once brought something from them!  Any way today I gave the green house another clean ready to start off some onion seeds. 

I also spent some time practicing calligraphy from the set I had for Christmas. 

We had a rest to watch the Royal Instutite ( Reith) Christmas Lectures and I am learning a lot about genetics this year!

4 comments:

  1. The mild brighter days of late have certainly made me think of spring. I will be plotting out the garden ready to grow my own bits. I'll be on the look out for a small greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choose wisely. Our greenhouse took every day for 10 days to work out how to put up!! We wished we had paid the £100 fee to have it done after day 3.

      Delete
  2. I also enjoy the seed catalogs that come every year. I recieved a bulb catalog just yesterday and have been pouring over it every since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and eldest son are also "addicted" to tool catalogues!

      Delete