Sunday 17 March 2019

Fabric Stash

Anyone who sews knows how easy it is to fall into the trap of gathering to your ample bos**om lovely fabrics for potential projects.
Yes, look away. Stand away from the fabrics!!

We did the Sewing show at NEC this weekend, and was drooling at the fabrics on offer which were amazing after our rather drab local town shop. I resisted the fabrics but did order an over locker machine. (Paid for by trading in some other "leisure" stuff on Gumtree over the last few months.)

While my husband drooled in the Photography show next door at the NEC I took the train into New Street and the Rag Market behind Birmingham's Bull Ring shopping centre.
The shop in the photo above is just over the road. Its not as cheap as the Rag Market stalls of fabric but it was £2/£3 a meter cheaper than the show prices generally!
Which one did I choose in there?










No, none of those. A metre of this at £4.99. Cushions to cheer the lounge are planned.  In fact saw some in the same pattern in a shop in the Bull Ring with yellow piping for £18 each!!

Then I went to the Rag market stalls with a big bag and £35.00 in cash. Things (especially jersey knits) start at 50p a metre, work up to a £1 a metre, top at £2 or £3 a meter for speciality thick linens etc.

Here is my dining room table.
This end is a thick canvas stripped pattern for tote bags £3 pm at 60" + wide, and two upholstery/curtain linens (£2 a metre).
Then some poly cottons for blouses and other projects - mostly a £1 a metre
Some cottons for cushion covers etc etc. Things got a bit brighter and bolder! £1 or £2 a metre.

Then jersey for T shirts and Pointe Roma for tops mostly 50p a metre.
I'll stop now before those interested in sewing are over come with jealousy.  The trip was well worth it, but I will not moan about the crazy cross country trip by Rail and the trains generally - I survived.

Next week my over locker arrives and my husband has insisted I make some pennies back selling stuff on my Folksy site!  Sewing season awaits me (revenge on my part as Grand Prix started this weekend and he will not be willing to leave the settee at weekends till its over).

Meanwhile I have located a Facebook group and a shop way, way out in the Fenlands who is stocking lovely fabric in her workshop. When I have worked out a route and have some cash I will be paying her a visit. Once a fabric addict, always a fabric addict!



9 comments:

  1. So green here, not just with your choice of lovely fabrics but the prices, wow lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meet 2 ladies from Bristol who had come to Birmingham by bus for £19. They had saved more than me and were gathering just as much

      Delete
  2. Wonderful colours. What a treat to see it all laid out. The prices are brilliant.:]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to do sewing but storm took out 8 fence panels at home while we were out

      Delete
  3. What fun you are going to have in your little cabin. Fabulous prices and beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great lot of fabrics! Will be looking forward to seeing what you make with all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg, I'm so green. There are no shops like this where I live.
    lucky you.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous fabrics Trish.
    I love The Rag Market.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am overcome with jealousy. Gorgeous fabrics and congratulations for getting an overlock machine.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete