Saturday 26 October 2019

Am I disgruntled old(er) lady?

When I was 12 I passed my cycling proficiency and was taught the highway code. So, when a bike is coming up to a right hand turning and is moving out with their arm at right angles signalling turning right, I am turning right, right??  So when did the highway code tell the motorist (youngish male) it is OK to swing out on my right and overtake me just then and proceed up the road over the speed limit for our village?
Image result for cyclist turning right at a junction

Honestly I am a naughty old lady with ripe language!!

I was also taught if you felt safer on a pavement, cycle on it, but stop if someone is walking there. Its the pedestrian right of way.

The other week we were in an east coast city crossing on a pedestrian zebra way into a quiet historic street ahead with absolutely no traffic ahead of us in the street. Two bikes came hurtling towards me, on the pavement, possibly trying to get to the crossing before the lights changed. I stopped dead. If I moved left or right they could have swung either way too. But they did not indicate stopping or moving aside.  I just stood there while the bike screamed to a stop in front of me inches from my face and the one behind slid into the back of her. Yes, her, in her 20/30s. Then I stepped aside deliberately and silently and walked on. While they dis-tangled themselves. Tough. Did your granny not teach you not to ride on the pavement while little old ladies are around? And not every little grey haired old lady is going to scuttle out of your way either!

Never mind teaching the younger generation all the politically correct things they do in schools these days what about highway code, common sense and politeness???



3 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Common sense doesn't come in an app 😱

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that the younger generations don't learn the proper way to ride a bike or give way to others on the road. I also learned that when you get to a busy street you get off your bike and walk it. Much easier to drop a bike and run if traffic comes out of no where aimed right at you..

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete