Saturday 2 November 2019

Savvy Shopper cookbook

Book review

I picked this up in the library for a quick browse this week and I quite like its philosophy which is to have a simplified, scaled down approach to shopping, cooking and eating. It is based on using discount stores.

I am not a discount supermarket user, they are simply too far away from home, in a town centre with awful traffic snarl ups and a series of 12 traffic lights to go through!! I will stick to getting groceries delivered once a fortnight for under £2 a time.  Also my meal planning is around what is growing in the garden and ready to harvest rather than what I go our and buy.  But I liked some of the ideas.


  • There are lists of regular buys suggested in this book. I have my own  next to the computer for everything that regularly appears in my store cupboard or fridge/freezer. Its a great way to cross check yourself and keep well stocked so you can cook from scratch easily.
  • I am not a fresh herb user as suggested, even though I have the space and ability to grow them I still reach for dried from choice (a habit?). But Amy suggests a good mix for curry powder you do yourself using all the store cupboard herbs thus saving buying another jar specially!
  • I agree with using olive oil. If you get at right price. It cooks better and tastes better.
  • Her meal plan is quite simple but mine includes far more soups - they make filling and cheap lunches and use up veg really well.
I enjoyed the recipe ideas. At least 6 were in my own regular dishes book, but there were 12 I was willing to try out like Homity pie, sweet chilli mackerel pasta, sweetcorn soup, vegetable korma.

If you see it then it is worth a peruse.

My other library choice from non fiction side was Beginners Guide to Crochet. I have been promising myself to master this skill for ages. I got a hook on the way home for £1.65. I am not getting on very well at all. I don't seem to have the right kind of hands........



10 comments:

  1. Every once in awhile I think I should learn to crochet, but then I give my head a shake and stick to what I already know.

    The Sweet corn soup sounds interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book says use a can of sweetcorn but I have a bag of sweetcorn bits in the freezer I hacked off not very good cobs at the end of the summer so I might use that. To be honest it sounds like a cowder more than soup.

      Delete
  2. I got hubby a Pinch of Nom, not our normal cook book, but he loves it and we have made a few of the dishes, with others on our list to do. It's good to try different ways with your food, and in most cases the recipes call ingredients we already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I liked this book - the recipes nearly all were possible from existing stores.

      Delete
  3. I don't have the right kind of hands neither. I think I physically need to be shown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might end up with RSI if I don't find the right technique soon.

      Delete
  4. I tried to learn to crochet from books and never picked it up, but one afternoon watching YouTube videos with hook and yarn in hand and now I can granny square with the best of them. If you do use videos make sure they're UK ones though as the terminology and stitches are slightly different in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I tried 2 You tubes and got on a bit better!

      Delete
  5. You are trying, that's what counts.

    Best of luck to you with the crocheting! I probably did that, at so me time, but not well. I couldn't learn to knit! -grin- All I have done is Jiffy Sewing at one time. Not now though...

    🔥💛🔥

    ReplyDelete