Saturday 28 March 2020

Shopping in lockdown or not

Have not entered any large shops since the 2nd March so I listen and watch the "The Tales of Shopping Hell" and get more concerned about what I may face. My supermarket shopping usually done on line (for 6 years) has been blocked at present and I await improvements in service patiently enough. Though we are in the age range we have not been identified as "at risk" cause we are healthy.

I just logged into Sainsbury's as there was a local facebook page of delivery slots being available. Nothing there. But here is the strange thing; the basket I had left "full" on my account ready had mysteriously gone up nearly £5 in the last few days without any new items being added. Mmm - price rises?

 Local Farm shop doing a delivery tonight so no fresh worries.

I may have hunt down 1. Shampoo and 2. tinned tomatoes fairly soon. Otherwise we are fine!

Here is my panic "sometime soon" lists before the farm shop delivery. Mostly could wait 7 days and a lot 10 days.  next door old chap asked us to get some sausages if we could.



I can make a good list as for the last 4 years I have had a store cupboard master list to work off and every now and then I empty the cupboard and freezer and check we have most or spares.  Yesterday i did an empty and found a kilo of basmati rice I did not know I had in a storage box I do not usually use (must have been too tidy last time round)!! Been on lists all month and definitely none in shops I hear.  Hurrah a win!

Stay safe.


10 comments:

  1. Tin tomatoes are a problem to find, we are using local farm shops, they have veg, fruit, meat, eggs and dairy, lucky for us our daughter is doing all the shopping. Like you we are considered healthy and not quite meeting the older age limit, hubby is 70, but with his heart problems, we don't want him to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've been in a supermarket for nearly two weeks now, which is a record for me. OH did a shop last week which spared me. I can see us needing a few bits in a week or two, but we are lucky to have a good few small local shops that we can buy from and which seem to be well stocked. I hope you find what you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it will be local shops for quite a while

      Delete
  3. I'm not going to the supermarket for at least another 10 days. I'm just going to make do. I know I need oats and bananas but I can live without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to the war then? We have no bananas?

      Delete
  4. Shops here are well stocked and keeping to just a few shoppers at a time which is very sensible. Everybody stands well apart in the checkout line and we are encouraged to use credit or debit instead of cash which is also sensible. I go out about once a week, mostly just for fresh fruit and veg. but I did buy extras eggs last time as they were almost all gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shook out my purse the other day and gave those new notes a rinse as they're plastic now!

      Delete
  5. The shops were better stocked this time than last. I have a few fresh items I buy every week and I got all I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also keeping out of the shops. I've been lucky enough to book an Asda delivery for next Thursday evening, and because I'm a long standing holder of Ocado Smart Pass delivery subscription they are releasing a few slots a day for smart pass holders and I have a delivery booked on 7th April. I'm hoping whatever is missing from the Asda order (and there's bound to be lots) I can get on the Ocado order. Mainly worried about running out of milk, eggs and flour. I also have a delivery of cat litter and food coming from Pets at Home on 8th April. I really don't want to be queuing for hours waiting to be allowed into various supermarkets to try and track down items. The queues I saw when I wandered out the other day were definitely not enforcing the 6ft rule. I worry for my son who is autistic, still working in B&M and is being abused by the public. How can people be so horrible when these folks are literally risking their health to carry on serving them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is absolutely no need for anyone to be rude is there? I think not being a pass holder may be the reason I am not seeing slots. I may buy one now!

    ReplyDelete