Tuesday 19 May 2020

Gloves


fb-feed

I have been thinking about gloves. I hate the thin disposable ones (shudder, too many genealogical exam thoughts!) and by the time I am half way round the local small supermarket my hands are all sweaty. Then you have got to peel them off and dispose of them properly. Far too many plastic gloves being seen littering the UK.

 But am I ready for  bare hands when out and about? (If I ever leave the house). Then using that gel stuff that is making hands all dry and painful till you get home for another lot of hand washing.

Back in the 1950s my (daft) mother thought it was really posh, and necessary, for us to wear gloves when going out on a Sunday outing. (You can imagine my rebellious 1960s years!) But before running her down was she right?

We were elegant and protected.  Well a bit. Like face coverings in cotton its not going to stop the deadly virus completely. Would still need to wash them after each use and your hands all the time but you may feel better.


1940s Ladies Gloves French Sewing Pattern  PDF Instant image 0Thinking about it there are still patterns out there to make thin cotton gloves and these days we have nice light stretchy fabric. I could reuse all those baby gros and things my grandchildren have given me for recycling.


You can even still buy pairs of 1940/50s gloves on various sites like Etsy.  These were £17!
50s Brown Woven Cotton Gloves 1950s Ladies Red Stitched Winter image 0

Hang on. I think there is a pair of my mothers posh cotton gloves around somewhere with her pearls (fake). To the attic!!!!




5 comments:

  1. I wore gloves this morning in Lidl and my home made mask, felt very weird, I have hung my mask outside to air, no one was coughing in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chuck my mask in the sink as soon as I get home and wash it. I've all taken to washing my hands at the trolley station when I take my trolly back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you find your Mum's gloves? It's been cold here so gloves were automatic until a few days ago. Now I just use the sanitizer religiously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel weird when I wear a mask and gloves when shopping on our local high street, as no one else seems to bother, but I still do it. In Tesco today, lots of people were wearing them, so it felt totally normal. The cotton gloves idea is a good one, less disposable plastic involved. I've got a few pairs. I might feel a bit self conscious during a heatwave though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking the attitudes of my ex daughter in law as a strict Muslim she wore a veil and gloves whenever out and just gave people a hard and uncompromising glare.

      Delete