Sunday 6 September 2015

September is here

6th September and holding off lighting the fire or turning on the heating. We have set ourselves a 18C limit in the lounge and so far it is around 19C in the evenings.

I love black berrying. I won't pick along a road side and try to find a hedge along a footpath.  On the way back from the health centre where I had collected my prescription I found a nice grassy footpath so I emptied the completely unnecessary paper bag, and put the pill packets in my pocket and filled the bag with berries.  At home we  planted two bramley apple trees last year and these provided a couple of apples to add to the black berries and make a crumble that lasted two days.

The blueberries are ripening gradually and every few days I gather enough from one bush to make a cheesecake pudding.  I crush 4 biscuits (digestive or oaty biscuits) and mix with 2 oz of butter and spread in a flan dish. This goes into the fridge.  I mix 4oz of soft cream cheese with 2 tablespoons of icing sugar and then add the fruit. This tops the biscuit base and goes back in the fridge for 20 mins.  These works well with raspberries and strawberries as well.

Meanwhile our Inca Berry fruits are rapidly ripening and I will be researching how to use these.

2 comments:

  1. I tried 3 times to get out blackberrying to no avail. I will try tomorrow. I love them when theyve been frozen It breaks them down so theyre a softer fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heating , whats that ? it will be at least another 6 weeks till we can afford oil , though this year we can have a lot more because the price has dropped like a stone , we may be able to run to a whole 2 hours a day ..lol

    ReplyDelete