Sunday 15 November 2015

Bored with TV so taken to chickens

There is something about autumn TV that "does my head in" as the kids say.  There are a few good things like the Pottery programme on BBC2 but all that reality/celebrity stuff is so uck...  and the husband is addicted to it!  So I have taken to improving my drawing and embroidery skills in the corner by the fire and try not to make too many scathing remarks.

I saw this advert for garden ornament chickens in one of the broad sheet papers and used the outline to make a little chicken picture. I have been practising most of my standard stitches and trying a bit of whipping too.  I found a new (to me) stitch on the internet called coral stitch - but at the time the connection kept going off so have not been able to follow the instructions and master it yet. The fabric is just some old curtain lining and the thread was from a stash brought ages ago for a £1 for five hanks. I am going to look for some brighter colours for my next project as they were mostly green and brown.

I have nearly finished this - what else can I do as that Jungle thing starts soon ?.......

Did you see Ben Fogle visiting people living wild in the UK?  First programme in Devon was pretty mild, the couple were just frugal and self sufficient in veg etc.  I hate these dark evenings of Autumn and the TV! If I was not being frugal with the heating I would probably wander off to another part of the house until the spring.

Thank goodness Simon Reeve is going to do a series on Ireland from next Sunday - should be marvellous and as we have visited a lot of southern Ireland in the past we shall enjoy that one at least together!


9 comments:

  1. TV is rubbish, my hubby loves X Factor. I did see Ben Fogle, and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a likable chap. I wanted a bit more detail like how they got those solar panels to work.

      Delete
  2. I watched the last series of Ben Fogle Living in the Wild it was great. I admit I love 'The Jungle ' program but I don't watch X Factor at all and only watch Strictly if there is nothing else on. I work quite a few weekend so continuity is a problem anyway. Love the chicken picture that is very clever. I had a quick rummage around the Hospice shop Friday for wool and cotton but they didn't have any. My friend is taking out to a shop she knows next month. I'll let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the last series of Ben Fogle Living in the Wild it was great. I admit I love 'The Jungle ' program but I don't watch X Factor at all and only watch Strictly if there is nothing else on. I work quite a few weekend so continuity is a problem anyway. Love the chicken picture that is very clever. I had a quick rummage around the Hospice shop Friday for wool and cotton but they didn't have any. My friend is taking out to a shop she knows next month. I'll let you know how I get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being out of synch when I had to work evenings - there was always a good series I missed. I looked up threads on Amazon and that seemed a good source.

      Delete
  4. My hubby has square eyes so I tend to listen to tv while crafting with whatever is my current favourite medium. If I had my way I would get rid of the blimmin thing. I could then arrange our room around the woodburner and not the darn goggle box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't heard about the Ben Fogle programme, I shall look it up. We watch probably too much TV but mostly sport and quizzes. Love Strictly but can't abide any of the other "celeb" things and X factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the husband has worked out how much electricity the thing uses and is now a bit more selective.

      Delete