Wednesday 17 January 2018

The most stupid person of the day..

And my vote goes to the contributor on Money Box live Radio 4 on Wednesday afternoon.  What did she say/do?

I was £12,000 in debt.  I had taken redundancy from a high flying job and it all got out of control.  I took my head out of the sand and tackled my life style and have paid off a lot and have £8,000 debt now.

Good girl I thought.

I was desperate to do something for my 40th birthday so took another zero interest credit card and we all went to Vegas.  So I had increased my overall debt again because the bank let me have the money so easily.

I groaned. Image result for despairing woman cartoon

The next caller's philosophy was to save for what you want and feel "delayed gratification" by paying outright for what you want when you can afford it.

I applauded.  I hope she was listening to that concept. Could she not have waited till her 45th birthday?

The "expert" had a good point after some later phone in from people who were mis-managing their mortgages and loans.  Yes, there was a lot of "managed debt" by people who had jobs or could control it. But there were a lot of people in the UK who are getting into debt just to supply the basics in their lives. Glad to hear there were support agencies and charities still out there helping the desperate.

I went back to the kitchen to make spaghetti  from scratch with yet more mince as that is what left in the freezer till next week besides some fish fingers the grandkids left us.  I am counting on "delayed gratification" for some nice fresh fish when the pension gets paid in.





6 comments:

  1. I find it so strange when people can't wait for a few months or years to pay cash for that trip or whatever. It makes me feel great that we have not gone into debt for "instant gratification" that doesn't really last.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heard some one say that people take out credit to deal with Christmas and spend years paying back for one day's worth of feeling great and having everything. Its all beyond me!

      Delete
  2. My parents always saved for what we required, we lost that along the way, but it is good to back to my mum's rules. The problem with maxing your credit,is the unknown, this month we had to pay more for hubbies motorbike, new tyre and brakes. These days it's about safety nets and savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Know that feeling we are near the edge this month due to extras.

      Delete
  3. What is really frightening is the phrase a high flying job. These people have senior positions in industry and cannot manage their own money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well those high flyers at Caerlion certainly proved they cant manage no matter how many millions they have.

      Delete