Saturday 17 March 2018

Waste of NHS time?

When I read about other people's NHS problems I feel very lucky that our surgery is 5 minutes walk from the house, you can make appointments and repeat prescriptions on line and the waiting room is never crowded and seems to work with great efficiency.  So when the Diabetic nurse wrote to me to say I needed a chat at 10 am on a Friday morning about my latest blood tests I thought it was fairly serious and I would get a positive ..."something".... though not sure what.

What I did get was a 15 minute wait, Homes under the Hammer repeat on the TV in the waiting room, which ended with me complaining at the reception desk. Then??  a simpering smile and general gentle telling off about processed food diets and getting more exercise! Its taken 2 years for my blood sugar levels to rise 0.5 points apparently.   For G***'s sake, I had got up early, rushed my cornflakes doing without toast, moved 8 fence posts 2 at a time 200 yards up the garden, helped lug long lengths of timber to the workshop, cleared the wood burner, feed the birds, brought in more logs,  emptied the bins and washed up, changed clothes and then cycled at high speed round the lanes for ......   I hope my stumping down the corridor and thumping out the automatic door  was expressive.

Apparently this chat was "preventive medicine" for those at risk.  Could have put a leaflet in the letter - saved my time and expensive surgery usage for something more positive!  Or could have saved more by emailing me (they have my details) with a web link for an on line motivational chat!  Am I sure that getting me in was nothing more than a box ticking exercise for their funding?

I have calmed down now. (I think). I know I need to lose 2 stones to get under the ideal weight for my height and that would have a great effect on the blood tests. I told the doctor that 2 months ago and at the blood test nurse  a month ago. I take it I am on my own till I weight 20 stone and crash and burn and then  they may want to offer me some of those "preventative" goodies I hear other people getting on the NHS - like free gym membership, support groups, therapy...

Roll on the summer - I need some relaxing and exercising gardening!!!

4 comments:

  1. I, too, have been in for a chat with nurse/pharmacist which seemed to be just one of those box ticking exercises. Nice to know they seem to care but I'd rather just discuss things with one doctor (not one of the many that seem to come and go at the surgery). Then perhaps I don't have to keep repeating details to different people. Stay calm. Tomorrow is another day.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too need to lose 2 stone, but as you say winter months are so restrictive, I try and walk each day, but today it's bitterly cold again and it has been lightly snowing. Not the day for walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop bloody moaning and lose your excess blubber and THAT alone will save the NHS money. Don't accuse the poor nurse of "simpering" when she is over a barrel and has to call the likes of you in to the surgery to meet government targets. Don't complain to the poor reception staff. What do you expect them to do? Knock at the Dr's door and say "excuse me, Dr, but there's an impatient cow in the waiting room who is taking it out on me."? I was a nurse AND doctors' receptionist and people like you used to "make our day". NOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Trish for publishing the above! Crumbs straight talking. I think most garden f us know what we need to do these days to be healthy! I go to weight watchers religiously. I'm a gold member and my weight is constant around 9stone and 5ft2", so I was surprised when the doctor offered me Statins. I refused asking what the criteria is for prescribing them. 1. Overweight - NO 2. High blood pressure-NEVER not even when I was pregnant 3. High cholesterol- SLIGHTLY the test was January just after Christmas. I left without a prescription and with him agreeing he was wrong!

    ReplyDelete