Wednesday 6 June 2018

Saving the veg

Some days growing veg feels like an up hill struggle.  These brassicas are under nets to save them from the pigeons. I have put weed suppressing fabric down the middle to keep weeds down and to  control slugs.

Next row is beetroot. As soon as the seeds put up their heads the hare nibbled them right off. Had a bit of net to protect three quarters of the row and they grew well after that. I re sowed the last bit today and had no net to spare at the moment. My husband has not used the wire hanging baskets this year, so I have stolen them to protect the seeds.  We know the hares love to chew the ripe beetroot later!
Further along the sweet corn is now surrounded by bottles on sticks that rattle, a spinning beach windmill and odd bits and pieces! The hare had a right go at the lovely plants as soon as they went in. The lower cobs are attacked by pheasants later in the year.

Meanwhile I am wandering up and down the fruit putting nets over the black currents, strawberries, blueberries, tay berries......  honestly I feel I need a giant cage over the whole acre!


1 comment: