Wednesday 18 July 2018

Cabin Painting

The log cabin we had put up 2 years ago for me to sew, paint and craft in has been looking very sad for some time.  We had followed instructions and put preservative on it at great expense but it was going grey and mottled.  Feeling very disappointed (a little bit that it had been a waste of money) we sought expert advice.  Nothing clear on the web so we went to a trade paint centre on the industrial estate.

We met an enthusiastic rep (up from the big city) who was a bit of an expert. Any way he sold us some paint that is used on swedish wooden houses.  Its lovely stuff, thick, creamy with great coverage. As its been so dry for weeks we hurried to get the first coat on all round - working in the cool bits of the day and in the shadow. 

We could not reach high enough so my husband raided the firewood stash and built a platform!  He hates heights, usually balking at standing on a chair. I was round the corner holding on to the washing line as the drugs from root canal extraction had knocked me sideways. I will help tomorrow.

Here is a picture of intrepid painter!


Its lovely sage green and we will get a small tin of cream for the windows. I shall not tell you the price - suffice to say it needed a sharp intake of breath!

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely husband. Looking very nice, I love the colour you’ve chosen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magnums and cider are a great boost for him.

      Delete
  2. A log cabin painted sage green...oh be still my beating heart.
    I love it.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking very good. But I'm very worried about your words "root canal extraction" as that's what I have coming next week! Frightened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope yours is good as my Italian young man, he was excellent with the injections and I didn't have the saggy, dribble face for hours afterwards.

      Delete
  4. Husband built our summerhouse in 2010 and it was even looking good this summer, Trish, 8 years on, but he found the original paint and rather than throwing that away he decided to give it a coat of paint (simply to use the paint up) as he said, he mightn't feel up to the task by next year! Well, he has been retired for 20 years! I was surprised that your log cabin needed attention after only 2 years, what a shame, but it's certainly looking good now! Well done, that man!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very serious cabin envy here-the colour is luscious. We have decided to use Little Green paint on all our wooden surfaces as although eye wateringly expensive, it is fit for purpose and goes on well. Hope your mouth is better soon as I remember when I had this done a few years ago. It was ouch on the mouth and the bank balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am phobic about dentists and it was so hot on Monday I stuck to the chair in my sweaty fear. £50 down and £200 to go!!! Ouch!!

      Delete
  6. It will be worth the price to get the result you want. It's looking great so far.

    We've just used Little Greene paint on the floor and walls of our kitchen and so far so good, it's turning out to be hardwearing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks amazing and I'm sure if it's good enough for the Swedish climate it's good enough for the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we don't have another beast from the East that was its downfall.

      Delete
  8. Very pretty!! I love sage green.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a summer house delivered last week and paid someone to paint it.. we'll do the inside when it's cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did the inside with garden shades and it was fine and perfect after 2 years, two coats did it nicely.

      Delete