Sunday 21 October 2018

Upcycling play equipment

I have been fascinated all summer by the afternoon TV programme Find it, fix it, flog it about upcycling stuff  as the presenters do the work themselves and often very cheaply.  I was taken with the idea of using spray paint on all sorts of surfaces (including plastic?) which I had previously thought was not possible and difficult.  So when we got our hands on some free but faded children's play equipment I thought this is worth a try out.


I brought a "rattle can"  for £4 in Wilco and had a go at an old scooter first which was faded red and yellow with odd stickers. I wrapped the wheels and handle bars in newspaper fastened with masking tape.  Three light goes at spraying later, leaving it to dry in the sun and it looked quite good. Should I have done the purple front "forks" on the front wheel?

I have some red and blue tape from husband's shed that can be added if grandchildren want to make "go faster stripes" later.

The swing will be a much bigger job but I feel much more confident.  Husband will welcome this as he thinks the pink is a bit out of synch with his sophisticated garden designs (Ha Ha).

4 comments:

  1. I think the Wilko spray paint is as good as the well known brand at twice the price. Have used to update mirror and picture frames very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sprayed some plastic furniture once and it turned out very nicely.

    Good job on the scooter. It looks brand new.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the garden toys I got second hand, all off our local Facebook page, it's a brilliant was to ensure they have something to play on, and once they are discarded as the children grow, I will pass them on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great. Good luck with the swing.

    ReplyDelete