Monday 26 November 2018

Can we last out till Christmas?

Had a quick check round the garden today while it is still mild and fairly dry.

We still have just enough potatoes to last to Xmas. . Just as well as I saw the price of a bag of potatoes was £9.50!!  Last time I brought some (year before last) they were £7.50 a bag.

Two rows of carrots not started.  Old row has a few left but a lot are split and knarly.  Should be plenty!

A very few parsnips!  Shame. they did not grow well in the hot and dry summer.

Two sprout plants. That is plenty  as I don't like them - exclusive to the husband's plate.

One more giant cabbage - these last over a week!

Inside the poly tunnel we have a short row of spinach that I am picking occasionally to add to dishes as needed. Very nice and will stand till after Xmas.

There were plenty peppers and chilis to collect still.


These are lasting weeks in the fridge when picked so should carry us through. When I have a lot to hand I slice them and pop in any spare spaces in the freezer.  Must be more careful with the red chilis; I forgot that the more heat they got in the summer the hotter they are to taste. I forgot to keep the tunnel ones separate to the outside grown ones.  Good lord - they are way hotter!!!

In the poly tunnel Despite the best efforts of green caterpillars 6 cauliflower are filling out and should mature next month. This will make a great difference to our lunches.

We spent one morning in the tunnel clearing and digging over. It was warm and dry. So dry after the scorching summer, we had to leave a hose on the rain barrows for 2 days to dribble the water on the main beds to re soak them.  Least it was free water!  Now the beds are ready we have put some spring cabbage in there to come along over the winter.

Overall I think we will be fine till Xmas with supplying the majority of our own fresh veg.

8 comments:

  1. How lovely to have fresh home grown veg for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your doing very well with your food stash. They look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do wish we could have fresh veggies as long as you. Those peppers look lovely and nothing beats fresh cauliflower.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my eye on the first cauli for sunday this week....

      Delete
  4. now the gardens died off i spotted a couple of lonely marrows id missed picking , they are fine and are sitting in the porch and will go into the stew pot , along with special chicken aka pheasant . Im sure my lot have no clue what they eat after all they hate marrow and pheasant is disgusting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably add some of these chillis hanging around here - they would certainly pep up marrows!

      Delete
  5. I have garden envy. I'm already looking forward to see what I can grow in my smaller garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the climate people were right this week we should be planning growing Mediterranean stuff! No wonder my garden is hopeless at swede and turnips I should be doing melons apparently.

      Delete