Tuesday 27 November 2018

Designing

I have been helping one of my son's fledgling company by designing and prototyping a bag for some of his products.

He got a load of material dyed in India to a specific colour he needed.  It has been easy to sew once a got heavy duty needle and thread for the machine. But by the time I had been folding and unfolding, handling the seams etc, the dye was staining my hands!  They need to spray some sort of fixer to the material.  Also it needs to be steam ironed to get the creases out!

I think I have the design nearer something useful.  My first prototypes had zips but that was so difficult to manage well I have gone "book bag" style now.

Doing something like this long distance is hard work.  I was pleased to hear that they have given up having other products made in China and made a relationship with someone in east London! They are enjoying the better communications!

I have been making some simpler bags for my Folksy account. I like the bright coloured handles made from some webbing I got locally.  I am hoping the chicken and hens will be a popular print for shopping bags.  Whenever I look at other sellers they have the most lovely fabrics.  We only have one local material shop so choices are limited.  I keep promising myself a trip to the locally "rag" market in Birmingham one day.

2 comments: