Sunday 2 December 2018

Slightly screwiff?

I attacked my second hand material stash the other day and cleared a lot of stuff out the other day and cut a lot into strips to make one of my rag rugs. Plenty of choice but a first there was a lot maroon sweatshirts.
I wanted a smallish square to go under my sewing table to keep my feet warm but something went a bit wrong when I stitched the plaits together. Probably not paying attention as I was watching TV at the time.
More of a parallelogram.  I will have to square it up a bit somehow.  My gardening fleece has just  broken its zip so I am thinking of using it to make a fringe or binding. I will turn the fleece inside out as the outside has paint splats and is faded.  I have recently found quite a few things are better used inside out - often the colour is better and smoother surface.

At the end I felt I had recycled 80% of the old clothes that were not even suitable for charity shop donation. I still ended up with a pile of bits (collars, seams, etc). .  I was watching one of the programmes about pollution and rubbish heaps the other day and they showed a 1970s dump with clothes that were still whole and recognizable. Apparently modern fabrics don't break down?   Back in the old days there would be a man with a cart, the "shoddy man",  who gave my old Granny a few shillings for bags of rags.  But in those days it would have been wool or cotton fabric - not polyester etc.


1 comment:

  1. What a great use of waste products. Love the colours you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete