Saturday 12 January 2019

Potatoes

What is people's experience of the quality of potatoes in the supermarkets so far this year?  As our crop did not last till Xmas I have had to buy these in.  My first few 5kg packs from various supermarkets  white potatoes (cheapest) have been very poor. Tendency to disintegrate and poor taste. And a small pack does not last long!

I gave up today and at the local butchers purchased a sack of better quality locally grown potatoes. £9.50, which is £2 more than 18 months ago.   Tried them in Shepherds pie for tea and they were very good quality - no waste, no bruised black bits, and mashed nicely.


6 comments:

  1. I think last year's exceptional summer made for exceptional potatoes - in the wrong way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. potatoes didn’t do well in my garden last year. Too hot and dry for most varieties. They are more expensive but talking to a farmer earlier in the year, it was expected that there would be a shortage by Christmas. I don’t think this happened but the prices are up on last year. I always buy a sack from a farm if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sacks of potatoes are around £10.50 in our area. Not very nice either - smaller than usual and several with black bits - under the skin where you can't see them unless you peel them, and not always visible even then until they're boiled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thev potatoes are hit and miss at the moment. Some cook lovely, some dissolve in the water. Going to try the 7.5kg bag at farmfoods when I next need some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure we have one of those around here but I hear they do give some good prices.

      Delete