Thursday 21 November 2019

Learning to crochet

Earlier in the month I wrote that I was teaching myself to crochet. Using library books, Youtube, £1.69 hook and a bag of unwanted double knit wool.

How am I getting on?  Have a look!

 Everything seems to have a bend?

Why cant' I make a square?  Is that suppose to petals on that circle?

Terrible.

I am now going to concentrate on forming a straight, even edged large square with the simple stitches. I may unpick all the early attempts and reuse the wool. Once I have got single chain, double stitch and possibly treble stitch under control I may consider the experiment done. I don't think I will ever get to be the fancy crochet or even the granny square blanket person!  My eyes feel permanently crossed.

I wonder if my grandson (6) will teach me more ukulele at Christmas?

Meanwhile, I am learning how to be a YouTuber and an Instagram-er!!!! More another day.

Yes. You are right. I am BORED.  And there is a long Parish council meeting to sit through tonight.

Just had our first frost. So its cold (-2C this morning), but pretty when the sun is out during the day. The first Vs of geese have been passing over us most days on their way back and forth between the marshland edges of The Wash and the sugar beet fields. Their noise is very distinctive and lovely in the cold crisp air.








8 comments:

  1. I love Bella Coco on YouTube for crochet, she got me going for ripples and hopefully a star blanket next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I waited so long for a good frost! But it is truly winter now, here.

    Love to see the geese!!! They are gone now, as well.

    Oh my, You Tube and IG! You are being *sucked* into the Cyber Hole, hu? -grin- I did IG for a while. But have not posted anything in a long time. I don't care for their algorithms.

    But do follow a few, on IG. Having only a few, I simply click on each one, and am sure to see, the latest they posted. Do not want to rely on what the algorithms 'give ' me.

    🔥💛🔥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find all those random "recommendations" really annoying!

      Delete
  3. when crocheting your starting chain use a hook a couple of sizes bigger than the one you intend to use for the whole article , this works for all flat edges , just because when you first learn you hold everything to tight. Everybody does it , as you become more confident you relax and your tension corrects naturally . Its worse if you were a knitter first crochet is much more fluid and easy on the hands

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been tempted to try crochet as well. Just not too sure how I would fit it into my other crafty things.

    Learning how to YouTube.... Let us know once you make your first video.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting till I get to my first GOOD one! The first few are a bit primitive.

      Delete