Friday 7 August 2020

Face coverings/masks - best pattern?

 Which pattern are you making for your home made face coverings?

I did not like the folded as it did not look like a tight fit.  So started with the pattern on the Big Community Sew promoted by the lovely Patrick from the Great British Sewing Bee.

Designed for two layers and to be tied on round the head. My quickest make using left over Scrubs material was overlocked. Under constant revision as I wore them I tried elastic round ears and elastic round the back of head. But mostly I could not get the 3rd layer in to this pattern comfortably and that was at one stage recommended. Plus tying the long strings round the back of my head was too awkward. 

I have now found a pattern on the WI site. 

This is much more shaped for the nose and has a flat bit across the bridge. It also comes further round the face for a tighter fit. I am dipping into my Fat Quarter stash sent to me as an Xmas gift which I think one of my sons got it in Aldi at a very reasonable price.

Again some experimenting. I found a way to stitch in a third layer by cutting a spare copy of the pattern down a bit and then sewing an extra bit (for any spare material) into the lining before constructing. 

Its been extra hot this week and I found 3 layers just that bit too stuffy. Possibly I could go that far in the coming winter?

Then there was the fastenings. I have really, really small ears, longer lockdown hair and I wear specs. I just don't have room for the wider elastic I have at hand!! Trying out the round the back of the head loops more which means you can keep round your neck and pull up when needed. 

My next experiments will be:

  • thinner elastic
  • stretch material possibly taking the side pieces to form loops which I have seen on the natty face coverings on Grand Prix F1 drivers. Not seen a pattern for it yet.
  • Third layer in some sort of interfacing.
  • Find a neater way to make the ends flush with the elastic firmly attached. The short bit of overlook is OK to seal but not catch the elastic. Found I had to go back and stitch the elastic down with a straight stitch and it likes jump out of the way from the machine foot!

So what are other people making?  Any shared wisdom?

Still making simple little fabric bags to carry them round in. Leaving some in car and some in each shopping bag or rucksack (for when I cycle locally to the shops) so I will not be without!




7 comments:

  1. Some people make a headband with buttons above the ears so the elastic goes round the buttons instead of your ears. That might help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might help with the lockdown thatch of hair too!

      Delete
  2. I am going to make some knitted straps with a button to put on the back of my head to hold the elastic. I think I will make oldest DS some as well since he will be wearing the masks all day while teaching.

    My pattern is like your second one and I really do like the fit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm approaching the 300 mark of making the folded masks and I've found using a glue pen to just stick the elastic into the right place and then I go backwards and forwards with a straight stitch - it's easier with the edge of the elastic lying flat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I have been thinking about getting a hot glue gun for crafts and DIY.

      Delete
  4. I think I may try making some more masks using your head loop idea, as I find that having elastic around my ears is very uncomfortable when I wear a mask all day at work.

    ReplyDelete