Monday 3 August 2020

Washing at 60C?

So for years we have been encouraged to do our washing at lower temperatures and machines and detergents are all designed to operate at 30C.  But now we are told 60C to kill Covid virus and to clean home made face coverings.

Strangely very little advertising or comment on this sudden turn of direction. 

No adverts (YET) for detergents guaranteeing bio destruction.

No adverts (YET) from clothes brands saying garments will wash and wear well at the higher temps. 

No mention of costs for hard pressed families - apparently it could add up to £5 a month to costs!

No screams from the ECO warriors as we turn up the dial and use extra heat or put on extra loads.

Limited mention of this washing advice by mainstream broadcasters (as far as I have seen/heard).

We will be making an extra load if we do go shopping etc. I am insisting "going out clothes" (as my Mother would have designated out "best" dresses) will go straight on a hot wash along with face covering/masks on entering the house. Along with shoes off at the door and coats hung to air in outer passage. 

I am feeling very old fashioned these days.


The bit about not leaving the washing in the machine is so true - it does tend to make a particular smell if you do that doesn't it?


Should I now wash my clothes at 60 degrees to help beat ...

9 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I've been washing my masks and aprons at 40 degrees. Maybe I should change that to 60 degrees, which I do wash any whites and pale coloured masks on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is different around world. We're been told masks must be washed at 90 degrees, or boil with small amount of detergent for 5 minutes, or soak in hydroperoxide for 30min. There's been price comparisons between single use masks and fabric (washable) masks, washing costs are not in these calculations so far. Local eqvivalet to WI has calculated you'll need 10 fabric masks (so you can wash and dry others whole using others).
    For years our "WI" have been telling us to wash sometimes whites ( towels etc) in 90 degrees to keep washing machine clean and because microbes won't die in 30 or 40.
    Most microbes will rinse off just with plain cool water, just like any solid dirt. But some will stay between fibres and need detergens and heat to die.
    And they also tell us it is ok to eat false morels if treated properly ( boiling2x in ample water for 5 mins minimum)... The are nice, bu not my favourite mushrooms...
    We are not talking about normal dirt and normal bacteria. Virus is basically non-living lifeform, so it needs a bit more work to be destroyed...
    But as you see, different couries different rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds a bit extreme treatment and you have wonder how many of the cheaper end clothes etc are going to stand up to it all.

      Delete
  3. I have been going on the assumption that the virus dies after a few days. So my mask hangs by the front door between my once-a -week trip the the grocery store. I did wash it once, though, but just in the regular wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for the voice of common sense.

      Delete
    2. I am hoping common sense becomes the new normal in life!

      Delete
  4. I have a spray that I use on them after washing. I am hoping that helps with killing the virus.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seen pictures of them spraying micro mist stuff on buses and trains so it must do something!

      Delete
  5. If youve ever looked at the Mrs Hinch cleaning page the younger generation are cleaning stuff whether its dirty, infected or otherwise. With all the options, lotions, soaps, sprays and chemicals they recommend our oceans are going to be dead before anything else. Let common sense prevail. I wash my mask in fairy liquid in a jug with hot water. Its rinsed and hung out. Pillowcases and towels are washed at 60, everything else 40 in biological laundry soap.

    ReplyDelete