Saturday 31 October 2020

Going old fashioned with polishing

 Remember this?


Its the sort of thing my mother would have had in her cupboard and I can't even remember why I brought it but it must have been at least 8 years ago judging by the price label. This week it was dug out of the shed and came it to its own!

To explain. We have been renovating our en suite and my one insistence was the radiator had to go.  It was a alongside the loo and so close your thigh got burnt if you stayed too long in the winter. Husband says he is getting a smaller loo (at great cost more than a standard one) but can't move it over.   So the bathroom suite and radiator have come out. In our good environmental ways we re cycled (Free); the loo and washbasin, which beside size had nothing wrong with them, via the local Facebook group to someone's daughter renovating a very down at heel house in a very deprived area of the nearby town.  But the radiator was a bitty tatty, mostly as you could never had maintained it as to was too close to the loo!

Over a couple of days I spent a couple of hours washing it off, using the above to give it a shine and using the wet kitchen foil trick to renovate the chrome.



It went on the Facebook site and was soon gone. 

I was impressed with the deep shine of the Silvo wadding on chrome ever since I have been wandering round the house putting a lovely shine on all bits and pieces - bathroom radiator, taps, chrome legs of TV stand, chrome light switch covers, door handles, oven handle........  Obviously nothing silver in this house to practise on as we not rich enough for anything in precious metals beyond the wedding ring!

Better shine than I have got for years with any of the spray stuff. Can't beat the old fashioned ways can you?



9 comments:

  1. I saw it and thought of Brasso, which my mum used all the time, she collected brass and it was us the children who cleaned it each week, I hated the stuff. I do also have Silvo in my cupboard, which is used on occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brasso was a paste/liquid with a distinctive smell wasn't it? This feels like fibre iwall insulation with a wax infusion. Smells but not unpleasant.

      Delete
















  2. what is the wet foil trick, I've got a bathroom radiator that could do with some TLC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You year off a strip and fold up like a hanky. Dip in cold water and then just run up and down the rusty bits. The "silver" transfers and smooths out the chrome. As it collapses you was it up to do corners. Mind out - your fingers go black! Rinse and repolish. Did read you should run in baby oil but we don't have any!

      Delete
  3. The radiator looks brilliant, well done.i don't have many cleaning products as I consider them a waste. I choose ones that can do the most jobs. Wood silk is brilliant on stainless and other surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, did you ever smarten that up. Good for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just bought some Brasso to put to work on some of the brass and copper items I've purchased lately for our living room. Not really used it yet though, but I hope I have as positive results as you have had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought proper beeswax with lavender polish.. The solid variety that needs a bit of elbow grease. It smells gorgeous when I polish all my wooden furniture

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh. I can just imagine that lovely smell!

    ReplyDelete