Wednesday 30 December 2020

Useless holiday TV

 Not only was the holiday TV useless (except the brilliant Worzel Gummidge!) I found myself keeping score on the useless adverts.

1. T UI holiday advert for summer - really? You really think that is going to happen safely?

2. Br  oncho cough syrup - really? Cures all coughs? ALL? Err.... that one too?

3. Sales in local department store - really? Not even open (Tier 4) are they?

Could go on, but won't. Just shows what a delay in TV planning there is.

Then there was a scary advert.

Emirates Air (I think) one of those posh ones any way. Brief glimpse of the air stewardess in a full white plastic PPE, mask and shield, and the cute little hat on top. Dr Who may adopt that but I would need advance notice to hide behind settee.

Husband gave up because of the moaning and searched Prime free videos for a series of independent, art films,  to keep me quiet. It was nice to have no violence, reasonably free of bad language, beautifully photographed films in strange places - Shell; Blown the man down; Waking Ned. 

Today its so cold we are indoors and we are watching comedy.  Sorry, that's not comedy is it?.  Recalled Parliament Live.

I am thinking up my new year resolutions too.  And like Frugal in Essex thinking a lot about structure to get through the next 3 months.



8 comments:

  1. It's been a difficult year. The lockdown, tiers, rules are draining. TV has been pretty poor, thank heavens for YouTube,Netflix and Prime. The adverts drive me mad because they are so loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our radio got buried over Xmas so I re tuned our TV to radio for classic FM and then had to change volume from 60 down to 35! It was so loud!

      Delete
  2. TV is pretty crummy here too. We only have 2 channels that don't have ads and they have been showing repeats for the last two weeks. I did see one new (to me) episode of "Call the Midwife".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the interesting social history background our interest has only be sporadic on that series. One of the non advert public channel we have does not broadcast till 7pm!

      Delete
  3. I have been watching Netflix and Prime more than regular TV and even thrown in a bit of Disney+.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disney has never been a thing in our house so have escaped that. But husband has discovered live WebCams at various south coast beauty spots - Dawlish, Lyme Regis, Bridport/West Bay and is spending time watching the tide come in and go out! Could be worse has also found live ferry loading on the Solent crossing!!!

      Delete
  4. Yes, adverts can be annoying and they seem to take up so much more time these days! Not making New Year resolutions but I am thinking of possible things to keep me busy in 2021. Wishing you a brighter and altogether better New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I subscribed to streaming TV like Britbox, Netflix, AcornTV, etc. I find scads of good shows, but never enough comedies. In these tense lockdown days comedies are godsends.

    ReplyDelete