Thursday 7 January 2021

Not going to be defeated!!

 Earlier in the summer when I was blasting up and down seams to make scrubs for the NHS I fell out with my sewing machine. For months I have not been able to get a decent stitch going. It is barely 5 years old and very, very expensive and to repair the "looking at" fee was £100. But a couple of days ago I brought it to the kitchen table, got out the instructions and turned on some smoothing classical music and was determined to sort it out.

I won!!! After a couple of hours of re setting, changing needles, re winding bobbins it settled down to a decent stitch. I then tried out all of its embroidery special functions.


I have set myself a project to learn applique. Never really done much of this but I have the fabrics and thread and have worked through all the stitch menu settings now. Changing width and intensity, using special applique "blanket stitch" and ordinary but tight zig zag. My project is to put some flowers on a very boring beige door curtain that keeps out the draft from the front door.

The other day I posted about the daft adverts we see in the pandemic. I could not believe the next one that caught my attention. Ryan Air.  "Jab and Go". Get a covid jab and go on holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jump in a crowded swimming pool!!!!!!!!!!! This was hours after the UK Government briefing when the chief scientist said we would still be doing lockdowns NEXT winter and all the other gloom and doom. I was incensed. I complained the the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) and had an email today to say my complaint was added to thousands of others. 

To ward of lockdown inactivity my son in south London has adopted an old dog from Battersea Dogs Home. They wanted one for ages but were unsure if a puppy was their thing. Our grandson is a lively enough thing!!  The dog was abandoned outside the gates of the Dogs Home and it did have some health issues which have been cured now. Apparently it had been in BDH before. Poor thing has been unlucky. They have been told it may only have 2 years and not be that lively, but they are determined to give it a good, warm home and I am delighted they will get out walking more (even at a stately slow pace) as they have been working from home since March and miss their daily walks to catch trains into the city of London.


8 comments:

  1. Your son is a generous person to give an old dog a home, knowing that after a short few years they are looking at heartbreak, lucky dog. We are turning off TV more every day, sick of so much hypocrisy, ignoring government guidelines, because they can find a loop hole and for what, to make a profit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having similar problems with my sewing machine again. Tension not working and cotton bunching and knotting up. I need to sit down and try to work out what the problem is. Unlike yours, mine is inexpensive and I've had it for 10 years or more. OH was going to get me a new one for Xmas, but the one I wanted was sold out everywhere. I'll just have to see what I can do with the existing one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience may do it. We found a local chap who does repairs but he wont touch anything electronic just the old stuff!

      Delete
  3. My daughter always has rescue dogs and she says the best one she ever had was an elderly dog that had been used in a puppy farm. She had 18 months of love and comfort with the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was petted by Paul O'Grady as he was taken with it, when he was filming at the dogs home. So one day we may see it on TV!!

      Delete
  4. Right now I am using a machine that our oldest son gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. Why???? Because my expensive machine is not working correctly. I need to pull it out, give it a good cleaning and perhaps like you get it working once again.

    Good for you in getting yours sorted out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same dilemma and actually had the 20 year old one serviced for £50 by a local chap. It works really really well and I am going to do heavy lifting sewing like curtains on that instead.

      Delete
  5. I was married for 12 years and early april during the pandemic, my husband decided he wanted a divorce. When I met my husband 13 yrs ago and the way he felt about me and how he adored me how every one would tell me how much this man loves me, i felt we were going to spend the rest of our lives together. We had three beautiful boys, I miss them more as each day rolls on even though I see them regularly. Its been almost 9 months and I cried every night and not one day goes by that I don't think about him. He posted a picture on facebook of him and a different lady and he acted like nothing ever happened. I was alone and in a lot of pain until I found the Azaka Spell Temple email online. I told him my problem and he did helped me cast a Love spell, and that was it. In just 24 hours after the spell casting, my ex husband who has not talked to me for almost 9 months called for us to be together again. This spell is 100% effective. I am happy because my husband is back home and my marriage is restored again. If you are going through similar issues, you can also reach him for help on his Email azakaspelltemple@gmail com or Whatsapp: +2349059389105

    ReplyDelete