Wednesday 10 March 2021

Summer thinking

 I was laying in bed dreaming of summer days earlier in the week (when there was a hint of sun, unlike today's heavy rain) and was running through my summer wardrobe plans. I had decided I needed to get back into skirts. I have not worn anything but jeans for 18 months (?). 

Thinking through the existing clothes I have a Mother of the groom dress (7 years old) and a date nice dress (2 years old).  And this cotton dress I made about 8 years ago and probably not worn more than a dozen times. No other skirts at all.

I love the material but the collar never really set well and felt uncomfortable. I have taken into my sewing room and decided that it has to earn its keep or its a waste of space!

I took off the collar and reused most of the facings to reform the V neck line. I had to re cut one facing (from the discarded collar) . 

I have sewn a line of top stitching in yellow outside the black tacks.

I fiddled about for a while wondering if it was too far down. I really hate being older and having a wrinkly front (Known in our house as the Deidre Barlow look after a certain soap character's neckline) and I have cut a "fill" or modesty piece. Not put in yet. I am going to wear and see how I feel.

Meanwhile the dress is in the laundry basket for a quick re fresh ready for the season. When it stops raining as indoor drying is not my thing - all washing has to go out even for just an hour or two.

Another tasks ticked off the what shall I do with my lockdown day list and another day when cleaning behind the kitchen stove is avoided.


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Its got a lovely satin sheen to it as well.

      Delete
  2. I love what you did to the dress. I am fed up with wearing comfy trousers and tops. Now you need some warm weather to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring it on! last years dairy notes some warm days in March?

      Delete
  3. I love your last comment! No excuses now for these really nasty jobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just done the glass cooker hood again - is that close enough? Ovens not my favourite!!!

      Delete
  4. The dress looks lovely and bright, just right for spring and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am plotting the outings. Just said to hubby when I do get to shop again for non essentials I want it to be a memorable occasion in a really pretty town, with lunch, all dressed up. Not the local miserable parade of chain shops, outlet parks and hoards of miserable pushy people. Dreaming?

      Delete
  5. Lovely refashioning of a dress. I like the insert. Could you make it so that you could wear it with or without?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking. I was thinking of temporary tacks so it could be easily removed!

      Delete