Saturday 23 May 2020

Gloves, price rises, lupins, weight

Found my mother's gloves (see blog a few days ago) and wore them when I cycled to get some milk locally to last till the supermarket delivery comes in a couple of days. Very comfortable and a lot better than sticky sweaty pvc things. Washed with mask on getting home.
While I was waiting in one aisle for someone to choose from the limited range of cereals I noticed a big bank of tinned tomatoes. Wow. There were many gaps on the shelves but plenty of these. Then saw the price 75p a tin!!  I have never paid more than 38p for tinned tomatoes and usually around 28p for own or cheap brand (these were definitely cheap brand judging from label). No wonder they had lots and I checked on getting home Sainsbury's still charging 28p.

I then got to the eggs. 6 packs at 95p, 12 packs at £2.00.  Of course I wanted to buy two 6 packs.  Not allowed. To have 12 eggs you had to pay the full £2.00 as a customer could only have one pack of eggs of any size. Grumbled but their eggs taste better than supermarket so got some till I go meat shopping at the local butcher where there are some nice fresh local ones worth paying for.

It has been horrendously windy and this lovely lupin had 50 flower stalks/buds to come 2 days ago.


Now I have a fireplace full of large jugs and a big display of lupin flowers.

At the supermarket I also had to avoid the bread, cakes, biscuits aisles. I know it is depressing what with the Daily Dose of Doom at 5 pm every night (4pm at weekends)  but getting through it with an extra snack is not the answer. Put on 7lbs since lockdown. Must be firm with ourselves. No comfort eating. After all obesity and stage 2 diabetes and our age are against us already.  Luckily the strawberries growing under cover with the lettuce are all doing well so its salad and fresh fruit for dinner all week!



 

7 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph had me giggling! I am similarly tempted. I haven't noticed too many price increases yet but I couldn't get milk for a few days. Our premier has been quite firm with the price gougers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been noticing price rises too, and not just a few pence, some things have doubled in price. Sheer profiteering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. £9 for a pack of toilet rolls in the Coop , i dont bleedin think so

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have stopped watching the doom at 5pm and most of the news, we go online and read just what we need, I am so fed up with all the reporters and their attitude, they just pick at everything negative. I know lesson will have to be learn't, and everyone will want answers to different actions, but doing it now is not helping everyone's mood.
    I am not wearing gloves outside, if we are just walking then we touch nothing. If shopping, once home we wipe all the items, my purse, I then do door handles, letter box and gate latch, I have an allergy to latex, and like you I have no desire to add to plastic waste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I paid £1.10 each for two cans of baked beans in Lidl a few weeks ago and they weren't Heinz or own brand. Must have been the only ones they could get. More fool me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My coffee has gone up 50p to £4.50 on offer. I only buy it then, even so that's over a 12.5% rise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, hailing from Pennsylvania. There's a shortage of (unbleached) flour and cornmeal around here. Frankly, i believe this COroNa virus is nothing but a scam. Why i think that? Because of the misinformation, the confusion, the fear-mongering - a clear indication where this is all coming from...the pit.

    ReplyDelete